11 Tips To Prepare You To Sell Your Home
Preparing a home for sale can be a daunting task for many homeowners. I am asked about ways homeowners can get their homes prepared and staged for sale. If you are not moving out before selling your home there are some things you’ll want to do to your home to prepare it for potential buyers to get excited when they come for the showing.
I have put together a few of the things you can do to get prepared.
- Dispose of the clutter. This includes furniture. Too much furniture can make your home look smaller. Determine what you can and cannot live with when it comes to your “stuff”.
- Group your furniture. Don’t push all your furniture up against the wall to make it look bigger. Truthfully you want to establish conversational groupings taking into consideration the flow of traffic. Floating furniture in the center of the room will make for a more pleasing appearance.
- Don’t forget about lighting. Good lighting is important to have. Having multiple sources of lighting is a good idea. Increase your wattage for some of those lighter lights. The best way to light a room is with hidden light sources.
- Look at using pieces in other rooms. Use what you have. You may have a room that is cluttered with furniture or art. You may be able to use those pieces in another space throughout your home.
- Fix the room with no purpose or a purpose just for you. I see this a lot with people that have rooms that are for junk or for crafting or a hobby. Make sure you change this room up to be clean and not so personalized. Knowing that someone can make a room into something else is good, but if it’s way too personal for your hobby it can be a turn-off. Let people see what it could be.
- Keep it neutral. This is particularly important when it comes to a paint color. Neutral today doesn’t mean beige. It means keep it in neutral hues. Try soft honey colors. Brighter colors can be a turn off to many and it has even been proven to impact offers on homes.
- Look at your artwork. Vary your wall hangings. Display your paintings, pictures or art creatively. Show off space with selective art.
- Accessorize. Creating the right feeling in any room may depend on the accents or accessories you choose. Focus on scale and how you position your objects. Group objects by color, shape and texture for the best effect.
- Fresh flowers go a long way. Having fresh flowers or florals warms up any room and makes your home comfortable. Go with the season, if it is summer you’ll maybe want what you have growing in your garden.
- Simple kitchen updates. You can make a few simple updates to your kitchen like painting the cabinets or even just changing the hardware to give it a new and updated look.
- Don’t leave unfinished projects unfinished. Things that were started and not done can scare a potential buyer away. If you were working on any projects go ahead and finish them up.
When selling your home always think of it as a spa or luxury hotel, minimalistic and depersonalized. You want people to feel like they can bring their own personal furnishings and items and live. I could go on and on with some tips to get your house ready but this should get you off to a good start. Good luck and all the best in selling your home. Contact me if you have any questions or need help in staging your home and getting it ready for sale.